Spice Up My Life
Curry Mee has always been a staple amongst us Malaysians, whether it’s for our breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Though, it can be a little hard sometimes to get Vegan Curry Mee around here. So, we’ve decided to create our very own version of a curry mee, and we hope you enjoy it just as much as we do!
4-5 Shallots, Peeled
6 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
3cm of Ginger
1 Teaspoon of Coriander Seeds
2 Kaffir Lime Leaves
4 Tablespoons of Curry Powder
100ml of Coconut Milk
2 Tablespoons of Light Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Brown Sugar
1 Litre of Water
Salt to Taste
1 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
1 Carrot, Cut into Cubes
1 Medium Sized Aubergine, Cut into Cubes
120g of Tempeh, Cut into Large Cubes
120g of Firm Tofu, Cut into Large Cubes
1 Packet of Tofu Pok Balls
To Blanch in Hot Water :
250g of Rice Vermicelli, soaked in 1 litre of boiling water
2 Cups of Bean Sprouts
100g of French Beans cut into 2cm lengths
Fresh Mint and Coriander
PREP : 10 Minutes
COOK: 15 Minutes
READY IN: 30 Minutes
- In a blender, blitz together onions, garlic and ginger.
- In a bowl, add in cut up tempeh, and tofu and sprinkle some salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- In a larger pot, heat 1/4 cup of oil on medium – high heat and cook the firm tofu and tempeh until golden on all sides. Remove and set on kitchen towel. Then using the same oil, fry the cut up aubergine until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot add in the blended items, cloves and coriander seeds. Cook for about 6 minutes until it becomes slightly caramelized. Then, add the curry powder and add about a cup of water to stop the curry from burning. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes before adding the lemongrass and kafir lime leaves.
- Add the carrots, fried aubergine, the rest of the water and then add in the coconut milk and season with a teaspoon of salt, soy sauce and sugar. Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Then add the fried tempeh, tofu, tofu pok and cook until the carrots are cooked through before adding in the green beans. Once cooked turn off the fire taste. Adjust if necessary.
- To serve, in a bowl, add in some rice vermicelli, and add in some tempeh, firm tofu, tofu pok, green beans, carrots along with some gravy and garnish with bean sprouts, fresh mint, coriander and a slice of lime.
AND TADAAA! IT’S DONE!