On some days, I find myself needing to snack more often than usual. It depends on the sizes of the meals I have in the day. Sometimes, a meal which I think was going to last me a few hours surprises me with the opposite!
I find it helpful to always keep healthy, filling snacks on hand should such occasions arise, and homemade bars are one of my go-tos.
This recipe is gluten-free and features fabulously raw, organic products from Big Tree Farms.
There’s no oven required, fun for kids to make and eat, and will keep great both in the freezer and fridge.
Thanks to its high protein content, it can also be used to reward yourself after a grueling gym session.
Be careful, when left for too long in a warm place, the choc fudge layer turns gooey!
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Diet Angel.
Peanut Choc Protein Bites
A dense, nutritious and energizing bar to complement your breakfast or to keep you going throughout the day.
- PEANUT PROTEIN LAYER:
- 2 cups roasted peanuts
- 3 scoops (3 heaped tbsp) plant-based protein powder
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp molasses / Big Tree Farms Coconut Nectar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- CHOC FUDGE LAYER:
- 2/3 cup Big Tree Farms Raw Cacao Powder
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 plant-based spread
- 4 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Big Tree Farms Raw Cacao Sweet Nibs for dusting
- Step 1 Blend peanuts in a pulser / blender until the oils are released to create a paste, or at least a coarse powder. (This step reserved for adults only please!)
- Step 2 Stir peanuts in a mixing bowl together with all other protein layer ingredients until it becomes a moist but slightly crumbly batter.
- Step 3 Press mixture down into a 7×7 baking pan lined with baking paper. Set aside.
- Step 4 Mix all Choc Fudge Layer ingredients in a mixing bowl until it becomes a thick paste.
- Step 5 Pour Fudge mixture over Peanut Protein Layer and level it out with a spatula.
- Step 6 Sprinkle Raw Cacao Sweet Nibs on top of Fudge layer and tap down on them gently with a spoon to help them stay put.
- Step 7 Leave in the fridge for 2-3 hours, or freezer for 1 hour.
- Step 8 Once set, cut into bars or squares and serve.