I had never heard of a nut loaf until my Danish husband told me that his plant-based mother made it for Christmas.
I’m sure she has a brilliant recipe which I have yet to ask for, but just to challenge myself, I wanted to see what I could come up with in my own head of what a nut loaf would feel and taste like. The great part is that this recipe is free from gluten.
And if you love fresh mushrooms, Boy, are you in for a treat.
I’ve never tried a meat loaf, which I’m not sure made the process harder or easier! I’m really happy with the final product, and boy is it filling!
Make sure you invite some loved ones over to share this protein-packed loaf of greatness!
Herby Nut Loaf
Mixed nuts, mushrooms and herbs roasted together into a savoury loaf.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups brown button mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp of each dried herb:
- OR 2 1/2 tsp of mixed herbs
- 1 large onion
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Step 1 Blend walnuts, pecans, almonds and seeds coarsely and roast for 15-20 mins at 170 degrees. Turn constantly.
- Step 2 Fry onion, garlic, salt and sugar until brown at the edges.
- Step 3 Mix all ingredients together in a rectangular bread pan and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 mins.
- Step 4 Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
2 thoughts on “Herby Nut Loaf (Gluten-free)”