YOU MAKE MISO HAPPY
When the weather forecast calls for a daily rainfall, comfort food is the only way to go! This Miso and Mushroom Porridge is perfect for warming your bones on a rainy evening. Don’t let the gloomy weather in this Monsoon Season hold you back, this warm dish will pick you right back up! It is very filling, and it offers a nice twist from a regular plain porridge. Yummy!
1 cup of brown rice (washed 2 times)
3 cloves of garlic crushed & minced
2cm ginger sliced thinly
1 tbls of light soy sauce
3 dried shiitake mushroom (washed first then soaked in hot water — and reserve that water)
6 cups of water
1 tbls of miso paste
1 tps of salt
1/2 tps black pepper
Drizzle of toasted sesame oil
Drizzle light/sweet soy sauce
PREP : 10 Minutes
COOK: 30 Minutes
READY IN: 40 Minutes
STEP 1: PREPARE INGREDIENTS
- Firstly, slice up the shiitake mushrooms that were already soaked earlier.
- In a pan, add in a dash of vegetable oil and add in chopped garlic and ginger. Fry them until fragrant before adding a tablespoon of soy sauce and the slices of shiitake mushroom.
- Stir fry your washed rice for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, add in water and mix the miso paste until combined.
STEP 2: PUT THEM ALL TOGETHER
- In a rice cooker (or a pot), add in the cooked rice, sliced shiitake mushroom, miso water and season it with salt and pepper.
- Cook and simmer the rice until it becomes porridge consistency.
STEP 3: SERVE IT!
- Finally, to serve it, add the rice porridge to a bowl and drizzle with toasted sesame oil and soy sauce.
AND IT IS READY TO BE EATEN!
Enjoy this simple and flavourful bowl of Miso and Mushroom Porridge!
TIP: This dish thickens over time, so be sure to add some water when reheating.