When unripe, jackfruit flesh is an unpretentious creamy shade of white, is close to tasteless, and has a fibrous, crunchy texture… the PERFECT natural meat substitute.
Jackfruit Satay with Peanut Sauce
A labour-intensive project but worth the effort and patience, these succulent grilled skewers made with unripe jackfruit are reminiscent of chicken satay and go perfectly with savoury sweet peanut sauce. Some extra hands in the kitchen may ease the process - or at least make it feel less tedious! Suggested to be served alongside Nasi Impit (compressed rice) and freshly chopped onion and cucumber.
- JACKFRUIT SATAY
- 500g young jackfruit, cubed
- 4cm lemongrass stalk (white end)
- 2cm ginger stem
- 1.5cm galangal root
- 6-7 shallots
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Bamboo skewers
- SATAY SAUCE
- 2 cups peanut chunks
- 15 shallots
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste in 1/4 cup water
- 100g block of gula melaka OR 1/3 cup Brown sugar
- 3-5 dried chilies, seeds removed
- 2 cm ginger stem
- 2cm galangal root
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Step 1 Boil jackfruit for 12-15 minutes until tender.
- Step 2 While that is cooking, put all other satay ingredients together to make a marinade.
- Step 3 Drain jackfruit of water and allow to cool until they are cool enough to be touched.
- Step 4 Skewer cubes.
- Step 5 Massage marinade into cubes. Let skewers sit for 1-1.5 hours.
- Step 6 While the satay marinates, prepare your sauce. Add dried chilies to hot water for 2 minutes to soften. Remove and drain chilies.
- Step 7 Blend chillies in a blender with all sauce ingredients EXCEPT peanut chunks.
- Step 8 Cook the blended mixture on medium heat with the Gula Melaka, starting with 1 cup of water. Stir continuously to help the sugar melt faster.
- Step 9 After the Gula Melaka has entirely melted, add peanuts and 1/2 cup of water.
- Step 10 Stir frequently for 25 minutes and add 1/2 cup water every 7 minutes or so.
- Step 11 After adding the last part of water, bring heat down to a low simmer.
- Step 12 Pre-heat your grilling appliance.
- Step 13 Grill satay skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side until sear marks form.
- Step 14 Serve immediately with satay sauce, compressed rice, and chopped fresh onion and cucumber.