I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Tempeh is a vegan godsend.
I love how nutritional and versatile it is, and ridiculously cheap and available in Malaysia too. I think it’s almost criminal to be a vegan here and NOT eat it.
I have been humbly been making these fingers at home for years, without realizing that others may like it too. I brought this to my first vegan meetup this year and they were one of the first things to disappear! It blew my mind how well it was received. I’m sharing the recipe in gratitude.
I didn’t have a name for it until recently, when I was enjoying these deep fried nuggets of greatness in a sandwich, and it suddenly hit me how the shape of the slices and crispiness of the coconut flakes reminded me so much of fish fingers.
Good lord, fish fingers. I inhaled those things as a kid. And now I get to inhale the next best thing!
HEY FISH FINGERS WHAT’S GOOD.
*Points fingers at fingers*
I wouldn’t eat these aallll the time, sometimes I wish I could, but y’know, deep fried anything isn’t good for you in excess. But on the days I feel I’ve earned it, they really hit the spot.
They also taste great with pretty much any sauce you like. I’ve had them with Thai sweet chili sauce and tomato sauce; I’ve also made sambal to go with them. It’s a spectacular combination.
Have fun frying these up for your kids and let them know that the best things in life are sometimes plant-based!
A slightly healthier alternative to Fish Fingers, these are a great party snack and will also amp up the protein factor in salads.
- 1 cup tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Step 1 Mix together batter ingredients until smooth. Pour water in slowly to easily adjust batter thickness. Feel free to use more or less water according to preference.
- Step 2 Coat tempeh slices in batter, followed by a coating of coconut.
- Step 3 Prepare cooking oil on high heat in a wok.
- Step 4 Deep fry tempeh slices for about 2 mins each side or until they turn golden brown.
- Step 5 Remove slices from oil, and place on a plate lined with kitchen tissue to absorb excess oil.
- Step 6 Serve immediately with sauce of choice.