After having my first taste of Pad Thai in Thailand as a 16-year-old, I was hooked. I recall having a plate of steaming Pad Thai cooked by the roadside for only 25 Baht! I wonder how much it is these days!
Pad Thai is a stir-fry of flat rice noodles, normally cooked with fish sauce and seafood.
I was bouncing off the walls when I discovered how to make it vegan!
I hope with my version, it will be one of your favourite dishes too.
The flat rice noodle bricks can be found in the noodle section of selected grocery stores in the Klang Valley, and are sometimes labelled as dehydrated 'kuey teow'. They are slightly thicker and wider (about 3 millimetres wide), and a little chewier than normal vermicielli (beehoon). But if it's not easily available where you are, feel free to experiment with any other rice noodles you can find!
Pad Thai (Thai Noodle Stir-Fry)
A taste of Thai street food in a slightly sweet and savoury noodle stir-fry, ready in just under half an hour!
- 4 bricks of flat rice noodles
- 1 cup beansprouts
- 1 cup chives, chopped
- 1 cup firm tofu, diced
- 3/4 cup ground peanuts
- 1 1/2 cups oyster mushrooms, shredded
- 1 tomato, diced
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 7-8 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 a key lime
- 2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- Step 1 Cook rice noodles in a pot of boiling water for 4 minutes or according to instructions on packet. Remove from pot and drain water from noodles. Leave aside,
- Step 2 Stir sauce ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Step 3 Heat up wok on medium to high heat with cooking oil.
- Step 4 Fry garlic for 1 minute until it starts to brown.
- Step 5 Add peanuts, tomato, lime leaves and salt and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 6 Add mushrooms and tofu, and fry for 1-2 minutes or until mushrooms just start to wilt.
- Step 7 Add beansprouts and chives, bring down the heat a little, and proceed to stir ingredients together briskly.
- Step 8 Add rice noodles and sauce, and stir everything up until the noodles and sauce are evenly distributed amongst the other ingredients.
- Step 9 Serve immediately.