I love desserts that feature cooked apple. I’m most familiar with it in a pie, or a strudel, or a crumble, so I wanted to see what I was like in a cake!
My trial version of this recipe went straight to the office of a Malaysian activewear brand which I have grown to love, called Ash Be Nimble. It was a random visit, just in appreciation for the great influence they’ve had on the fitness community in the Klang Valley.
The team embraced the surprise and made it very clear that they loved the cake. One of the staff, halfway through her slice, didn’t even realize that it was vegan until her colleague mentioned it! A sign that I was on to something good.
Here’s the full recipe, which I initially published on Instagram in as a Mother’s and Father’s Day idea, but it can be made for any occasion… Surprises included, tested and approved!
HEARTY APPLE CAKE
A apple pie... In a wholesome cake! Great for parties.
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- (I made mine from dicing, cooking for 5 mins and blending 1 1/2 apples, peeled)
- 1 1/2 cups diced apples (approx. 2 large)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For decorating:
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup pecans for decorating
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Step 2 Mix together flours, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- Step 3 In a separate bowl, mix the applesauce, vanilla essence, molasses, coconut oil and milk.
- Step 4 Pour wet ingredients to dry mix and stir roughly. Add baking soda and stir until batter becomes even.
- Step 5 Remove core from decorating apple and cut into thin slices. Fan out carefully and place in centre of cake. Place pecans on cake to create an outer ring.
- Step 6 Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from centre of cake